Thanks to the support of Gen Q mag and Teri (craktpot on Flickr) I was able to pay for a second box of items. I paid for this first one, filled with pants and dresses.
And they paid for this box, double the size and cost, but filled with 40 Popover dresses, 12 pairs of knit pants, 8 pairs of socks, 5 messenger bags, 5 pencil pouches and a whole lotta love.
According to the post office, they should be there in a week, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that they’ll make it there soon and intact. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything, I promise!
So we got the Oliver + S Popover Sundress side seams finished and added the yoke, now we get to finish it off.
Now time to do the bias straps. You can do them with self-fabric or be justifiably lazy and use 1/2″ double-old bias tape. I bought a bias tape maker not too long ago and will be trying that out on the next dress. For this one, I just followed the directions.
Fold the bias strap in half lengthwise, then in half again, on one side only.
I followed their directions, but also added a step. The stretch of the bias and the stretch of the underarm curve made for some frustration for me. I had to re-do it on one side and decided to just stay-stitch to avoid the double stretch.
Continue reading How to: Make Popover’s bias straps and hem
I wanted to find a quick and easy pattern for the orphans’ dresses, so when I found this one from Oliver+S, I thought it might just be the one. I’ve used their new Straight Stitch Society patterns [did I really not take any photos?!] and really love the way they put them together and explain the construction. I figured same people, different name–it’ll be good.
I was right, the Popover Sundress pattern is quick to assemble, the instructions are easy to follow along and it’ll sell you on their patterns.
The pattern is a downloadable which means you are going to have to tape it together to get the full-size pieces. Normally, I hate this and refuse to do it. For the sake of this project, including being able to share it all with you, I did it. I pulled out the clear tape, lined up the grids and taped it together. Just because I did it this once, don’t be expecting me to do it much more. I’ll take tissue paper patterns any day.
Anyway, you end up with three pieces: dress, yoke and ties. They also give you a matching pattern for a doll dress, which I may have to do with my scraps. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Continue reading How to: Start the Popover Sundress
So I got this fabric about a month ago. I’d ordered from Strawberry Patches, three yards of it to make a wrap dress with. Well, I thought I ordered the red version of Darlene Zimmerman‘s Betty Dear fabric. This pink is what showed up. I emailed Suzanne at the shop and she took care of everything asap, sending me what was left in the red. (Not as much as I had hoped for, but enough to make this Joel Dewberry pattern!)
I wasn’t sure what to do with this pink version. Three yards of a fabric I would never wear. And then I realized, I can use it for the orphans! Duh.
The pattern I used is a downloadable pattern from Oliver + S, scaled from size 2 to 8 in one pattern piece. You just print it out, tape the pages together and -bam- super simple sundress!
Continue reading Getting started on some orphan dresses